Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Paleo Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Bisque with Sweet and Spicy Oven Roasted Walnuts

This recipe is delish.  I have made it without the sweet potatoes and it is a little creamier, but I think the nutritional benefits of the sweet potato are worth the very small difference in texture.  I read somewhere once that orange fruits and veggies are super good for you.  If you are interested in more info, google that shit. 

Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Bisque
Ingredients-Soup
1 tbsp. coconut oil
One medium sized butternut squash, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
One medium sized sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
One small onion or half of a medium onion, roughly chopped

1tsp. cinnamon
I tsp. nutmeg (fresh grated preferred, but powder is ok)
I tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. ground chipotle chili
1 tbsp. fresh black pepper
salt to taste (optional, I usually leave the salt out completely and let my "diners" season themselves)
*****if you like it spicy, add a tsp. of cayenne, I would do this but my kids wouldn't eat the soup, and they love the stuff with out it******

1 can coconut milk-  the light coconut milk tastes great but I have found that the regular kind just tastes better and you get a better consistency.
32 oz of chicken or veggie stock

To prepare
In a large stockpot add first four ingredients, saute over medium heat for about ten minutes.  Add the dry ingredients.  Turn the heat to medium low, saute until veggies are tender and cooked through.  When the veggies are completely cooked turn off the heat and get your blender ready.  Combine all of the ingredients in your blender and blend adding the entire can of coconut milk until smooth and silky.  While you are blending place your empty stockpot back on a medium heat.  Add about a quarter cup of stock and bring to a boil.  Scrape the bottom of the pan and get all of that goodness that was cooked out of the veggies.  When the bottom of the pan is clean, add the mixture to the blender.  Blend until smooth.  Pour entire blender full of soup in to stockpot (the same pot you have been using), turn the heat to medium low.  Add your stock in small doses until you reach your desired consistency.  Heat through.  

Ingredients-Sweet and Spicy Oven Roasted Walnuts
1 cup walnuts
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cayenne **I leave the topping off of my kids soup****
1 tbsp. brown sugar ***technically not Paleo, but I am back to 90/10 and its worth it for the flavor***
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Crumble walnuts into a small bowl, I like the lack of uniform-ness.  If you crave more order in your soup, roughly chop your nuts :)  Combine nuts with the rest of ingredients, spread in a fine layer on a an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet.  Roast for five to ten minutes. 

Serve soup hot with a generous palmful of nuts. (I was just re-reading this and realized the hilarity of this last instruction.  I am leaving it, too funny to not.)   This soup is amaz-balls. (Oh my goodness, my re-read is cracking me up.  This is ridiculous.)  All joking aside, this soup is so good, and so good for you.   Enjoy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment