Friday, October 26, 2012

Paleo Chicken Soup Cure-All

Whelp, it's that time of year.  Runny noses, sore throats, congestion, and belly aches abound.  The change in seasons and the continuously dropping temps have brought the onslaught of cold and flu season.  My family has already survived its first and hopefully last fight with the Cold and  Flu.  Most colds are caused by viruses which cannot be treated with antibiotics.  You just have to let them "run their course".  In lieu of this accurate, but not very helpful medical advice I suggest making homemade chicken soup for your family.

There's nothing more nurturing then a nice hot bowl of fresh chicken soup.  I love the feel of the warmth of the bowl in my hands, the steam saturated with yummy healing smells as I breathe it in and out,the super delicious taste, and the nostalgia. It just makes you feel GOOD.  Chicken soup reminds me of being  a kid.  When I was feeling yucky either my mom or  Na-Na would take the time to make this soup for me. The memory of my mom and grandma comforting me when I was sick  begins to heal me immediately, on some level.  There's definitely something to be said for putting time, effort, and love in to the food you prepare for your family. 

I am an at home chef, and don't usually follow any recipes, I put it all together and everything usually tastes ridiculously good.  I attribute this to genetics, and having a family full of outrageously good cooks.    So, my recipes are always a guideline.  Follow it, but if you don't like an ingredient, leave it out or add something if your belly is requesting it. 


To make really kick-ass chicken soup ( no noodles here) you MUST make a homemade stock, or broth.  It is time consuming work but not very labor intensive.  From there you begin to make your healing potion.

Kim's Chicken Soup Cure-All
serves 10-12 (I always make extra soup, everybody loves it, I give it to my neighbors, my mom, it always seems to get eaten)

INGREDIENTS-STOCK (broth)
4 medium carrots (roughly  chopped)
1 medium onion (roughly chopped)
3 stalks of celery (roughly chopped)
1parsnip (roughly chopped)
1 bay leaf
4-5 peppercorns
4-5 twigs of thyme
1 handful of parsley
1 whole chicken approx. 4-5 lbs with bones, remove innards, save the neck
1-2 gallons of water
salt(optional)

In a large pot combine carrots, onion, celery and parsnip.  Sautee over medium heat for about five minutes.  Add the chicken and the neck.  Cover with water.  There should be enough water to completely cover all of the ingredients and then some.  Add bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme, and parsley. Bring to a boil.  Allow the stock to maitain a rolling boil for twenty minutes, then turn the heat down to low for about two hours.  Occasionally skim the scum from the top of your broth using a spoon.  This will look like a fatty layer on the top of the broth, close to the edge of the pan.

After two hours drain your stock.  It should have reduced by about an inch or two.  You may have to do this in batches.  Save your chicken, but  throw away the rest of the ingredients.  Pour stock back in to large pot.  It's time to start the soup!!

INGREDIENTS-SOUP!
1 small bag baby carrots
1 large rutabega (peeled and cubed)
3 stalks celery (1 inch chop)
1 parsnip (peeled and chopped)
1 generous palmful of fresh thyme (off the twig)
1 bayleaf
2 peppercorns
2-3lbs of chicken
fresh stock

Let's get started. While my stock is cooking, I usually prep my veggies for the soup.  You can use a vegetable peeler for your rutabega and parsnip.  The rutabega is very dense and difficult to chop.  Just show it who's boss and get the job done.  Your knife skills don't have to be perfect here.  I try to get everything around the size it would take to create a perfect spoonful of soup everytime with everything included.  The perfect bite.

Add all of your veggies and herbs to the stock.  Bring to a rolling boil for 20 minutes.  While the veggies are cooking it's time to tackle the bird.  This is a messy job, but hey, that chicken's not gonna clean itself, right?  Place the chicken on a cutting board.  Cut it in half directly down the middle, this makes handling the bird easier.  First remove the breast, then the legs and thighs.  Be sure to clean all skin or sinewy parts of the bird from the meat.  Gently pull the meat apart and set aside.

After twenty minutes at a rolling boil, reduce heat to simmer, add chicken.  Simmer for twenty minutes.  Serve hot with some fresh parsley and enjoy!  This soup is sure to kick that cold or flu right in the arse!!

Chicken soup is just one remedy that I use at home to stay healthy and fight off sickness.  When I get sick I always up my Vitamin C intake, from the daily 1000 mg, to 4000 mg.  I also use a vaporizer at night all winter long.  I think this extra moisture helps keep my lungs and sinuses in check.  My grandma and mom used to put a cool cloth on my head, and give me a ginger-ale to sip on and to this day, both of these very attainable at home remedies make me feel better when ill. Lastly, rest.  You must rest to heal.  Give your body the time it needs to fight off whatever is ailing you. 

Enjoy the soup, be well, stay healthy!!

with love, k



No comments:

Post a Comment