Saturday, September 29, 2012

No One Said It Would Be Easy

Being Paleo definitely has its challenges.  Temptation is everywhere.  My fiancee owns four gelato shops and an Italian wood fired pizzeria.  I have a never ending supply a free gelato and pizza available at all times!!!! Sometimes he comes home and actually smells like a waffle cone, a sweet, intoxicating waffle cone.  I know all about temptation.  So I thought I would outline a few tips and guidelines to give yourself a chance at being successful with the Paleo diet.

First,  change your attitude towards food.  Food is fuel. Eating Paleo is like giving your body the highest grade fuel available.   Our bodies are our vehicles in which to get through life.  It is very easy to look at food as a comfort bringer or stress-reliever. Food is meant to nourish and support our bodies so that we may have the most fulfilling and longest lives possible.  Also, there will be a lot of people out there that say "Go Ahead, EAT the BREAD, life is too short."  I agree life is too short.  Give yourself a cheat meal, or even a cheat day.  But learn not to indulge everyday.  The basis of the science behind Paleo is disease prevention.  We eat for health not indulgence.  I love Kettle One martinis with blue- cheese stuffed olives and I love cheese danish.   I do not drink or eat them everyday, I actually never enjoy these two things anymore.  Kettle turns me into drunky-mcdrunkerton, and cheese danish makes me feel like I can't get off the couch.  I know how they affect my body,  and how they affect my ability to function as a parent for my children now and in the future. A friend of mine gave me some great advice.  She said, "Don't think about what your health will be like in a week or a month, but think about what it will be like five years from now, ten years, twenty.'  Life is short, give yourself the best chance possible to have the happiest, healthiest time here.   Life is also VERY sweet, life is the reward.  Try enjoying the sweetness that comes from BEING, actual sweetness that fills your heart with joy and love.  Sweetness that comes from family, friends, and nature, not foods that only gratify momentarily.

Next, YOU HAVE TO DO THIS TO SUCCEED!!    You have to clean out your cupboards and fridge. You have to get rid of any grains, dairy, sugar-based snacks and if you are really serious about your HEALTH, look on the labels of your food.  If it has high fructose corn syrup it has to go.  You will be surprised!! On regular Smuckers jelly the second ingredient is high fructose corn syrup.  They make an Orchards finest that has no HFCS.  If you have kids this may seem difficult, and you're right it is.  My son begs me for cereal every time we are at the store, but I just say no.  Sugary, grains as your first meal of the day?  I don't think so.  I let Lawson (my son) have some cheese sticks in the fridge and goldfish in the cabinet very rarely.  When we go out to eat he orders a peanut butter and jelly on "real bread"  and its like dessert to him. My big cheat is probably wine.  So for this 30 day challenge, my home is wine free.  You just have to adjust, and it takes time. The point being, you will not succeed if these temptations are surrounding you at home.

PREPARE!!  First, always have some Paleo snacks with you.  I carry almonds and walnuts with dried cranberries in my car ALL THE TIME.  If I am leaving my house, I ALWAYS grab my water and a piece of fruit.  Make sure to have snacks handy.  If you are starving it is much harder to resist the quick fix, a sandwich or granola bar, a doughnut, or smoothie packed full of yogurt and  sugar.
Second, try planning out your meals for the week.  Also, make a large mixed greens salad packed with veggies at the beginning of the week then portion it out for your lunch.  Mix it up by adding strawberries, apples, pear, nuts, seeds, avacado, I have even put cooked sweet potatoes in my salads!!

IN THE KITCHEN:
Instead of butter, use coconut oil.  It's super healthy, butter is not.
Get a meat thermometer.  Its the easiest, safest way to prepare your MEAT.
Stock up on raw nuts, fresh fruits and veggies, and proteins.
Plan your dinner:  ONE protein, TWO vegetables
Buy juice that is not from concentrate.
Instead of Soy sauce, use BRAGGS liquid amino acids.  It has the same flavor, but is soy and gluten-free.
Skip the salt.  Just skip it.

It is up to you, and me.  We choose the foods we eat.  We choose the quality of our health by our attention to diet and exercise. Choose mindfully. 

 The body is your temple.  Keep it pure and clean for the soul to reside in.  ~B.K.S. Iyengar, Yoga: The Path To Holistic Health




No comments:

Post a Comment